FINAL: HAWAI'I 35, CENTRAL ARKANSAS 16
TOUCHDOWN! 3:27 - Lincoln Victor snags his first career touchdown, an 11 yard pass from McDonald! PAT is good. 'Bows lead 35-16 over Central Arkansas.
McDonald's pass to Byrd is complete for 10 yards to the UH 31. 1st down UH.
Hawai'i drive will start at 10:00 as the Bears turn it over on downs.
Central Arkansas starts its drive at 12:02.
Miles Reed rushes for 21 yards to the UCA 35, but fumbles the ball as Juan Jackson forces it. The fumble by Reed is recovered by UCA's Isaiah Macklin at the UCA 35.
TOUCHDOWN! 12:18 - Carlo Blackman rushes in for a 23 yard TD. PAT by Hayden Ray is good.
Smith's pass is complete to Michael Fox for 12 yards to the UCA 41. 1st down for UCA. Smith's next pass is complete to Luke Ross for another 5 yards to the UCA 46. End of the third quarter.
Gaudion punts it away for 37 yards to the UCA 18 as it goes out of bounds. UCA will start its drive with 2:45 left in the 3rd quarter.
McDonald is sacked for a loss of 11 yards to the UH 39 by UCA's Caden Brown.
What a catch! McDonald passes to Byrd as he gets an 8 yard gain to the UH 42. First down for the 'Bows.
Bears are unable to get a first down. Hawai'i will start its drive at 8:36.
Blackman rushes for 28 yards to the UH 35. 1st down again for the Bears.
The Bears punt it away again after being unable to get a first down, but UH gets a penalty for roughing the kicker. 15 yards to the UCA 37. It's 1st down UCA.
Reed rushes for another 6 yards. McDonald's next pass is intercepted by Deandre Lamont at the UCA 0. The Bears will start its drive on their own 20 yard line.
McDonald fires to Smart for 17 yards for the first down.
Hawai'i starts its drive at 13:03.
The Bears punt it away after an unsuccessful drive. Taylor Wallace punts it for 39 yards to the UH 28.
Meskell kicks off for 65 yards to the UCA 0. Touchback. Central Arkansas will have the ball to start the third quarter.
UH - 28 | UCA - 9
Cole McDonald - 13-for-6, 162 yards, 3 TD, 0 INT
Jared Smart - 79 yards, 1 TD
JoJo Ward - 25 yards, 1 TD
Cedric Byrd - 22 yards, 1 TD
Kai Kaneshiro - 55 yard INT return TD
Kaimana Padello - 1 sack, 2 QB hurries, 1 forced fumble
The Bears settle for a good 35 yard field goal. It's 28-9 'Bows with 10 seconds left.
Smith is sacked by Kaimana Padello for a loss of 6 yards to UH 17. Smith fumbles the ball, but its recovered by Chris Richmond.
Central Arkansas starts its drive at 0:36.
0:36 - Smart muffs another punt return, and this time the Bears recovers at the UH 11.
TOUCHDOWN! 4:14 - Bears break the scoreless streak as Blackman throws to Sam Carmargo for a 4 yard TD pass. The PAT is blocked. 'Bows continue to lead 28-6.
'Bows defense coming in clutch as Blessman Ta'ala stops Blackman for a 1 yard loss. It will be 3rd and goal.
Smith in wildcat formation, but hands off to Blackman for 6 yards. Blackman is stopped at the UH 3 by Khoury Bethley as it becomes 2nd and goal.
Smith hands off to Carlo Blackman - Blackman finds a huge hole and rushes for 42 yards to the UH 9. It's first and goal for the Bears.
Smith's pass to Joshua Nix is good for a 16 yard gain to the UCA 49. 1st down for the Bears.
Central Arkansas' drive starts at 7:45.
Personal foul on UH... 15 yard penalty on Ernest Moore to the UH 20.
TOUCHDOWN! 7:53 - McDonald throws to a wide-open Cedric Byrd for an easy 13 yard TD pass. PAT by Meskell is good. UH builds its lead to 28-0.
BIG GAIN as McDonald finds Smart for 22 yards to the UCA 21. 1st down for UH.
McDonald finds Jason Matthew-Sharsh for 21 yards as Sharsh heads to the UH 44.
Smith scrambles and only rushes for a yard to the UCA 46. Bears have to punt it away. Hawai'i starts its drive at 11:22.
Smith's pass is incomplete to Luj Winningham as Cortez Davis knocks it away.
The Bears get a 5 yard penalty on a false start - according to the referee "everybody but the center."
TOUCHDOWN! 14:28 - McDonald goes long for Jared Smart as Smart hurdles in for a 16 yard touchdown. PAT by Meskell is good. 'Bows lead 21-0 early in the second quarter.
McDonald rushes for 13 yards to the UCA 16 yard line. 1st down for the 'Bows.
TOUCHDOWN! 1:52 - McDonald finds Ward for a 5 yard touchdown. PAT by Meskell is good. 'Bows lead 14-0 over the Bears early in the first quarter. Scoring Drive: 7 plays, 63 yards, 4:01.
McDonald keeps the ball and rushes for 21 yards to the UCA 31.
McDonalds passes to JoJo Ward, as Ward scampers for an 11 yard gain to the UH 48. 1st down for the 'Bows.
Bears punt it away for 40 yards to the UH 36. Smart returns it for a yard, fumbles, but recovers it at the UH 37. UH will start its drive at 5:53.
Meskell kicks it for 64 yards to the UCA 1 yard line. Cameron Myers returns it for 9 yards to the UCA 10. There's a penalty against UCA for an illegal block, 5 yards to the UCA 5 yard line. It will be 1st and 10 UCA ball on the team's 5 yard line. Drive starts at 8:42.
TOUCHDOWN! 8:48 - Bears go for it on fourth and 2, but quarterback Breylin Smith's pass at the UH 45 is intercepted by redshirt freshman defensive back Kai Kaneshiro. Kaneshiro returns the ball for a 55 yard touchdown. PAT by Ryan Meskell is good. 'Bows lead 7-0 over the Bears in the first quarter. The interception return for a TD by Kaneshiro was the first for Hawai'i since 2017. The last one was from Solomon Matautia against Fresno State on Nov. 11 of that year.
FUMBLE! Miles Reed fumbles the ball as it is recovered by UCA's Hunter Toomey at the UCA 31 yard line. The Bears start their drive at 11:52.
McDonald's pass to Smart is complete for 9 yards to the UCA 33 yard line.
McDonald hands off the ball to Miles Reed, Reed rushes for 8 yards to the UCA 44 yard line.
Cole McDonald's pass is complete to Jared Smart for 22 yards to the UH 47 yard line. 'Bows get the first down.
Hayden Ray kicks-off for 63 yards to the UH 2 yard line. Fair catch by Victor.
Hawai'i wins the coin toss and elects to receive for this opening half.
The Rainbow Warriors will host Central Arkansas for homecoming at Aloha Stadium on Sept. 21. Kickoff is slated for 6 p.m. Keep checking back at this live blog for game updates.
- Saturday's game marks UH's Homecoming, which is the earliest-ever, eclipsing last year's Sept. 22 date vs. Duquesne. It is also the earliest within a season (4th game) since 1972.
- UH's all-time record in Homecoming Games is 39-29-1. The Warriors have won their last two Homecoming games (vs. San Jose State in 2017 and vs. Duquesne in 2018) after dropping five straight from 2012-16.
- This year marks the second consecutive non-conference Homecoming opponent and just the seventh non-conference opponent since 1979 of which UH is 4-2 in those match-ups.
- Hawai'i and Central Arkansas played once prior in the 2009 season-opener. UH scored a late touchdown for a 25-20 victory in Honolulu. UH coach Nick Rolovich was the Warriors' quarterbacks coach that season.
- UH has won its last 16 games against FCS teams dating back to 2001. Its last loss to an FCS team was to Portland State in the 2000 season opener (45-20).
- Since moving to FCS in 2006, UCA is 3-12 all-time versus FBS opponents which includes a 35-28 season-opening win at Western Kentucky.
- UCA (3-0), one of eight unbeaten teams in FCS, is ranked No. 12 in this week's FCS Coaches Poll.
- A win on Saturday would be UH's third straight at home to open the season. Last season UH won its first four home contests. The last time UH opened with three or more wins at home in consecutive seasons was 2006-07.
- UH is 2-1 to start the year for the third consecutive season, a streak last accomplished from 1991-93.
- UH quarterback Cole McDonald needs 86 passing yards to reach 5,000 in his career. Only seven other UH quarterbacks have reached the milestone. Dru Brown was the last to do it in 2017. McDonald also needs two more TD passes to move past Garrett Gabriel (47) into fourth on the school's touchdowns list.
- UH ranks eighth nationally in the FBS in passing (370.3) while UCA is fifth in FCS (351.3). Hawai'i quarterback Cole McDonald is eighth averaging 339.0 yards per game while UCA quarterback Breylin Smith is ninth, averaging 324.7 per game.
- Under head coach Nick Rolovich, UH is 3-0 in games following a loss to a nationally-ranked team. The Warriors lost to No. 23 Washington last week in Seattle, Wash.