The University of Hawai'i women’s tennis team (3-6, 2-1 Big West) fell to Indiana (11-6, 1-1 Big Ten) in a close 4–3 overall defeat at the UH Tennis Complex on Thursday.
Indiana’s No. 3 pair of Michelle McKamey and Somer Henry took the first set of the day by defeating Maayan Sela and Alzbeta Houbova. Hawai'i’s No. 1 Petra Melounova and Nikola Doolakova defeated Madison Appel and Jelly Bozovic 6-3 to even the score. Indiana’s No. 2 Natalie Whalen and Caitlin Bernard’s win over Michelle Pits and Roxanne Resma, 6-4, saw the Rainbow Wahine tennis team start the afternoon losing the doubles point to Indiana, 2-1.
In singles, the two teams jostled back and forth for overall victory. The No. 5 match saw Hawai'i’s Resma soundly defeat McKamey, 6-0, 6-1. Melounova, who recently placed No. 119 in the ITA rankings for the first time, won the No 1. match against Appel, 6-1, 6-4. Indiana would then win matches on the No. 2 and 3 courts. Pitts defeated Bozovic, 4-6, 6-4, 6-4, in a tight three-set match.
“In that last third set, it’s all about toughening it out,” head coach Jun Hernandez said. “It’s more mental than physical.”
The last match of the day saw Indiana’s Henry outlast Houbova in three sets. Houbova won the first set 7-5, but after losing the next set, 6-3, Henry battled through the third set to send the match to a tiebreaker. Henry would finish the match strong closing out the tiebreaks, 7-6 (1).
“You got to give her (Houbova) credit,” Hernandez said. “She did well. I know she gave it all her best, but that's competition, sometimes it doesn’t go your way.”
UH will be on the road next week to take on Long Beach State March 21 at 3 p.m.
Hawaiʻi 3, CSUN 4
March 14, 2019 at Honolulu, HI (UH Tennis Complex)
1. Melounova, Petra (UH-W) def. Madisonl, Appel (IND) 6-4, 6-3
2. Natalie Whalen (IND) def. Maayan Sela (UH-W) 6-2, 7-5
3. Caitlin Bernard (IND) def. Nikola Dolakova (UH-W) 6-3, 6-2
4. Michelle Pits (UH-W) def. Jelly Bozovic (IND) 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
5. Roxanne Resma (UH-W) def. Michelle McKamey (IND) 6-0, 6-1
6. Somer Henry (IND) def. Alzbeta Houbova (UH-W) 5-7, 6-3, 7-6 (7-1)
1. Petra Melounova/Nikola Dolakova (UH-W) def. Madison Appel/Jelly Bozovic (IND) 6-3
2. Natalie Whalen/Caitlin Bernard (IND) def. Michelle Pits/Roxanne Resma (UH-W) 6-4
3. Michelle McKamey/Somer Henry (IND) def. Maayan Sela/Alzbeta Houbova (UH-W) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,1,3,2,4,6)