The University of Hawai'i men's tennis team fell to UC Irvine 5-2 in the first of its final two home matches of the season.
The Rainbow Warriors (6-8, 1-1 BWC) squared off against UC Irvine (12-6, 2-1 BWC) Saturday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex.
UC Irvine outplayed UH in singles competition, winning four of the six matches. Sophomore Blaz Seric and freshman Simao Telo Alves were the only Rainbow Warriors to pick up victories in singles play.
Seric has won his last six matches with his victory over UC Irvine’s Daniel Gealer in three sets. Telo Alves defeated Aaron Bailey in four sets to secure the team’s second point.
The doubles competition for UH was a lot closer with courts 1 and 3 coming within two points of winning. UH's No. 2 duo of Seric and Telo Alves picked up UH’s sole doubles victory as they improved their team-best record to 6-2 when they defeated UC Irvine’s team of Mateusz Smolicki and Vatsal Bajpa.
- Sasha Krasnov (UCI) def. Andre Ilagan (UH) 6-3, 6-4
- Luis Lopez (UCI) def. Lucas Labrunie (UH) 6-4, 6-1
- Blaz Seric (UH) def. Daniel Gealer (UCI) 7-6 (7-5), 6-0
- Simon Telo Alves (UH) def. Aaron Bailey (UCI) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-2)
- Vatsal Bajpai (UCI) def. Asad Siyyid (UH) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
- Mike Mkrtchian (UCI) def. Chia-Hua lu (UH) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
- Luis Lopez/Bruce Man-Son-Hing (UCI) def. Andre Ilagan/Lucas Labrunie (UH) 6-4
- Blaz Seric/Simon Telo Alves (UH) vs. Mateusz Smolicki/Vatsal Bajpai (UCI) 6-5, unfinished
- Sasha Krasnov/Daniel Gealer (UCI) def. Chia-Hua lu/Asad Siyyid (UH) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (2,1,3,6,5,4)
UH will have its final home match of the season tomorrow against UC Riverside at 12 p.m. at the UH Tennis Complex.
Sunday's match vs. UC Riverside will be Senior Day for two Rainbow Warriors, Eric Kenneth and Asad Siyyid.