The University of Hawai'i Men’s tennis team breaks its two-game losing streak as they beat the Pacific Tigers, 8-1, on Saturday afternoon at the UH Tennis Complex.
Coming off of his first career Big West Athlete of the Week award, freshman Andre Ilagan continued to impress by beating Pacific’s Philip Hjorth, 2-1.
The team had a great bounce back game since their last home match back on Jan. 11 where they lost 1-6 to Louisville.
The Rainbow Warriors were held from sweeping the Tigers in singles competition after Pacific’s Arkam El Sallaly was able to sneak by UH’s Asad Siyyid in two sets by a combination of three points.
In doubles competition, the Rainbow Warriors were able to sweep the Tigers, with the closest match being the first in doubles play when Llagan and Lucas Labrunie beat Pacific’s duo of Johnathan Lieu and Tadiwa Chinamo, 6-4.
UH and Pacific will play again tomorrow, with the first match planned to start at 12 p.m.
UH 8, Pacific 1
1. Andre Ilagan (UH) def. Philip Hjorth (PAC) 4-6, 7-5, 6-4
2. Lucas Labrunie (UH) def. Ross Watson (PAC) 4-6, 6-1, 6-3
3. Blaz Seric (UH) def. Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) 5-7, 6-3, 6-2
4. Akram El Sallaly (PAC) def. Asad Siyyid (UH) 7-6, 7-5
5. Tristan Martins (UH) def. Johnathan Lieu (PAC) 6-2, 3-6, 7-5
6. Simon Telo Alves (UH) def. Josef Southcombe (PAC) 1-6, 6-4, 6-2
1. Andre Ilagan/Lucas Labrunie (UH) def. Johnathan Lieu/Tadiwa Chinamo (PAC) 6-4
2. Blaz Seric/Simon Telo Alves (UH) def. Akram El Sallaly/Philip Hjorth (PAC) 6-3
3. Asad Siyyid/Chia-Hua lu (UH) def. Ross Watson/Nathan Hampton (PAC) 6-2